Identification by refractive index/specific gravity/ spectroscopy
It now has caught the fancy of talented youngsters out to make it big in the gem and jewellery business. No longer is the financial backing or the sponsorship of a jewellery house required. A course in Gemology makes you eligible to enter into the business of your own creative strength or obtain the employment with any mushrooming design studios. Today, this has become a profession that is being explored by the generation X. With a large market like India, the potential is tremendous and limitless.
Opportunities One can work in any of the following sectors:
- Jewellery designing house
- Export house o Fashion house
- Freelance designing
If you join an export house, you can see your new designs in the international market. Most of the students start their own business by setting up a production house.
As a freelance designer your job is to draw a design according to the specifications of the jewelers' house. You also need to direct the manufacturing of the jewellery by the craftsmen of the jewellery house.
- There are no specific personality traits for jewellery designers and Gem Identifiers. One can learn everything while getting trained. However, you just need a passion for the profession; otherwise there is no way one can learn.
- A sense of design is imperative. Precision and attention to detail are also equally important for a successful jeweller. One should be very creative, imaginative and technically sound.
- It's also important to have a working knowledge about manufacturing.
- One should be well-versed with the fashion industry on the international front too.
Course : B.Sc. (Jewellery Designing/Gemology)
Apply for Online